Canada to ban single-use plastics by 2021

June 11, 2019 by  
Filed under Green, Recycle

Canada is the latest country to follow the European Union’s ambitious ban of single-use plastics, which will go into effect by 2021. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the upcoming ban, which still has details to iron out, in an attempt to address the marine litter crisis. The announcement also comes months before the election this fall, during which political experts expect climate change to take center stage. Less than 10 percent of all plastics in Canada are recycled, with 300 million tons thrown out every year. This recycling rate is similar in the United States, the largest plastic consumer in the world, where about 9 percent of plastics are recycled. In every corner of the globe, plastic waste is reaching the ocean and wreaking havoc on marine species from sea turtles to fish and whales. Related: Have your plastic and eat it too – average American ingests 50,000 microplastic particles a year To put it into perspective for citizens, Prime Minister Trudeau explained, “As parents, we’re at a point when we take our kids to the beach and we have to search out a patch of sand that isn’t littered with straws, Styrofoam or bottles. That’s a problem, one that we have to do something about.” Legislators have yet to announce exactly which single-use plastics will be banned, but the list could include cutlery, straws, plates, stir sticks and bags. Throughout the European Union, plastic bags, cutlery, cotton balls, stir sticks and balloon sticks will be outlawed in 2021, with a reduction in plastic cups and other food-related plastics also going into effect. The ban legislation is also expected to detail regulations for companies that produce significant plastic waste . The policy will hold companies accountable and mandate they develop targets and responsible waste management plans. Prime Minister Trudeau’s environmental policy may help his chances for re-election this fall, as voters are increasingly concerned about the environment and climate change . Via The BBC Image via Fotoblend

Continued here:
Canada to ban single-use plastics by 2021

Shocking study reveals 90% of seabirds have eaten plastic

September 2, 2015 by  
Filed under Green

Comments Off on Shocking study reveals 90% of seabirds have eaten plastic

The science is clear: the oceans and its creatures simply can’t take the burden of our plastic waste. Seabirds have been ingesting more of the stuff over the past few decades and the percentage of birds with plastic in their systems is expected to hit 99 percent by 2050. The jump to 90 percent – where it is today – was a quick one, as the number was only 10 percent back in the 70s and 80s. Read the rest of Shocking study reveals 90% of seabirds have eaten plastic

Continued here:
Shocking study reveals 90% of seabirds have eaten plastic

Infographic: The Unbelievable Scale of Marine Trash

September 17, 2011 by  
Filed under Green

Comments Off on Infographic: The Unbelievable Scale of Marine Trash

Infographic section via Project AWARE What is the impact of our plastic use on the ocean’s animal life? A new infographic from Project AWARE sheds a bit of light on the sheer scale of the problem, and the incredible number of animals affected by our plastic problem. … Read the full story on TreeHugger

Original post:
Infographic: The Unbelievable Scale of Marine Trash

Take Part! 25th Annual International Coastal Clean-Up Day This Weekend

September 23, 2010 by  
Filed under Green

Comments Off on Take Part! 25th Annual International Coastal Clean-Up Day This Weekend

Photo by Ocean Conservancy This Saturday, September 25th marks the 25th annual International Coastal Clean-Up Day . The grassroots effort has worked miracles for marine litter over the last quarter century — last year nearly half a million volunteers across 108 countries and 45 US states collected 7.4 million pounds of marine debris. And while that is a whole lot of trash taken off beaches and out of waterways, there is still so much more floating out there

See more here: 
Take Part! 25th Annual International Coastal Clean-Up Day This Weekend

Bad Behavior has blocked 1167 access attempts in the last 7 days.