MIT Study Shows Mars One Colony is Dangerously Unsustainable

October 13, 2014 by  
Filed under Eco, Green

Comments Off on MIT Study Shows Mars One Colony is Dangerously Unsustainable

Mars One has captured a lot of attention with plans to build the first colony on the red planet – but a new paper from MIT warns that the project has little chance of success. According to the MIT paper, the success of the mission in its current form relies on “in-situ resource utilization (ISRU) and life support technologies that are more capable than the current state of the art.” While the volunteer astronauts in the Mars One program have all signed up for a one-way ticket, the paper reveals that there several unexpected deathtraps within the proposed habitat system, and that the first astronaut fatality could occur as early as day 68, simply due to low oxygen levels in the artificial environment. Read the rest of MIT Study Shows Mars One Colony is Dangerously Unsustainable Permalink | Add to del.icio.us | digg Post tags: astronauts , Growing Food in Space , mars , mars colony , mars one , Mars One astronauts will die , MIT , MIT study shows Mars One unsustainable , space travel

Excerpt from:
MIT Study Shows Mars One Colony is Dangerously Unsustainable

Baby Power! U.K. Companies Convert Diapers to Energy

November 11, 2009 by  
Filed under Eco, Green, Recycle

Comments Off on Baby Power! U.K. Companies Convert Diapers to Energy

In a move that fairly reeks with symbolism, The U.K. companies Versus Energy and Knowaste have teamed up to build the first diaper recycling plant in England , and it will be located in a region that was once the heart of the Industrial Revolution .  The new recycling plant will power itself with sustainable energy generated from the organic materials recovered from disposable diapers . Organic waste accounts for only 2% of the materials in “pre-owned” disposable diapers.  What happens to the other 98%?  It will be dried, sterilized, and separated into reusable paper pulp and plastic .  The end use of those materials has not yet been announced but based on Knowaste’s past experience, roof tiles, shoe insoles, wallpaper, plastic “wood,” and industrial thickeners are likely candidates.

Excerpt from:
Baby Power! U.K. Companies Convert Diapers to Energy

WaveRoller Uses Swinging Door for Underwater Wave Energy

November 2, 2009 by  
Filed under Green

Comments Off on WaveRoller Uses Swinging Door for Underwater Wave Energy

The simplest ideas are best at harnessing underwater wave energy. You don’t want lots of parts in the harsh marine environment (for machine parts) under the ocean

Read the original: 
WaveRoller Uses Swinging Door for Underwater Wave Energy

Bad Behavior has blocked 1299 access attempts in the last 7 days.